Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kinship

My mom, Ginny, was born in Inglewood, California in 1943. Her parents, both of European decent, had both grown up on the East Coast, which is where they met and married. Ginny's mother had been raised in a religious home, having a preacher for a father. Ginny's dad, however, was not religiously affiliated, and would eventually come to work for Lawrence Berkeley Lab, which is what brought them to California where Ginny was born. They then moved to Los Alamos, New Mexico where Ginny was raised. Both her parents worked in for Los Alamos Lab until they retired, never discussing work with their children. Ginny's father was strict, which led to tension between her and her father. Ginny's mother was not as strict, but was strong minded, and both parents made decisions and raised their children jointly.

The interview method used was a skype interview, since Ginny lives in Colorado (I have no relatives in Southern California). The interview was short because the video quality was poor, despite several attempts to reconnect. Because the video quality was poor (sound and picture were a bit choppy), I felt distracted and would have rather spoken in person. However, I was quite comfortable with the subject matter. I feel that interviewing someone I didn't know wouldn't be too difficult if I had a strong interest in the subject matter. It could be awkward, though, due to cultural differences and potential language barriers (similar to choppy sound and picture on a computer).


There seems to be an equality in terms of emphasis on maternal and paternal lines in this particular case. Perhaps it's due to the fact that it focuses primarily on immediate and current family members, leaving out missing parents. Closeness also seems relative to immediate and current family members. There is some regret in terms of differences between father and daughter that were not resolved prior to death, but since both parents are deceased, it is difficult to say if closeness would be with both parents. However, there is closeness with siblings and direct children. Nieces and nephews seem to be a distant second, and news about nieces and nephews travels through Ginny's direct siblings with no common direct communication between Ginny and any nieces or nephews. Differences that cause strain on relationships within the family seem to be primarily divorce of those who are not directly related.

Unfortunately, I only know my mother's side of the family well. My father has been estranged from his remaining family members, the only one I'm even familiar with being my Uncle George, my father's brother (my father is not listed on the kinship chart). I haven't seen anyone from my father's side of the family since I was a little kid. Most of them have died.

In terms of my mother's side of the family, I believe my grandfather was the most influential decision maker when he was still alive, followed closely by my grandmother. The siblings, my mom, aunt and uncles, seem to hold almost equal say, my oldest uncle and aunt having the strongest voices. I think that the 4 of them grew up in a home where they were all given voices; what they chose to do with those voices seems to have carried out into their current lives. I think my aunt, who's younger than my mom, has a bit of a stronger voice in decisions than my mom because she got pregnant at a young age in an age when that was a taboo, and so had to grow up faster and became more independent than my mom. I also think my oldest uncle has a stronger voice in decisions just because he's the oldest.

I think that those who marry into the family are welcomed into the family, but aren't necessarily expected to stay. There has been divorce with every one of my mom's siblings, including my mom. So while new members who are married into the family are an exciting addition, there is some weariness.

I learned a lot more about my mom's relationships with her siblings and her nieces and nephews (my cousins). I feel I am a bit closer to my cousins than my mother is, despite the fact that I don't speak with them much, either. However, my mother seems to maintain closer relationships with her siblings than I do with mine. It has been difficult to maintain close ties to family members because they are spread out all over the United States. I know that this bothers my aunt, because no one comes to visit her in Boise, despite the fact that she will visit others in their states.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post allot one thing that caught my eye was when you said that people who are married in to your family are welcomed but not necessarily expected. I understand how you feel because you have seen so much divorce in your family, but for me as I come from divorced parents only one other couple in my family is divorced so for us everyone who comes in to our family is more then expected because they are not use to divorce as much as it looks like your family might feel about it. Every family is different and for me when I have family I hope divorce does not happen because I see how it tears family's apart. I can really relate to the part where you said that your aunt is bothered that no one comes to see her in another state but she visits others. My aunt always comes to visit us out here in California because most of us live out here and only my dad and I have been to visit her out of our family so she gets really upset that no one else goes to visit her and my cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked reading your post. I am more closer to my mother's side of the family to. You were also very open about how divorce has affected your family's perception on new people coming into your group. You had a great presentation and I especially liked your Kinship Chart, It was done very well. I wished I had prepared something similar. Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post. Its interesting how many of us are closer to our mothers side of the family. The mothers are what connect families.I was amazed at how honest you were about the history of your mother and grandfather. I dont know if you knew about it before this assignment but thank you for sharing.Dealing with family at times can be difficult and I realized through your blog that maybe I can dedicate a little more time to my aunts and uncles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say how I impressed I am with your chart. How did you do it? That is really interesting that your family migrated to California to work at the Lawrence Berkeley Lab. That must have been hard for Ginny growing up with a such a strict father that it negatively impacted their relationship. I understand what it is like to be physically separated from family and to maintain those connections. All of my family is in Northern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the chart in Microsoft Word, then converted it into a picture format (I tried copying and pasting straight from word to the blog, but the blog wasn't displaying the shapes). And you're dead on about my granddad's strictness causing a rift in he and my mother's relationship; my mom rebelled against his strictness and they hadn't spoken for years when he died. She feels quite responsible for keeping that rift alive, and not reconciling with him. I don't think my grandparents were in Northern California very long, and I'm actually not quite sure how they got to Southern California, but I know they were doing something for the Berkeley lab down here when my mom was born. The Los Alamos lab is an extension of the Berkeley Lab, which is how the ended up moving to and settling there.

      Delete
  5. Loved the line on the "weariness" with which new spouses are welcomed into the family. Nicely put.

    Well done on the post and kinship chart was impressive. Divorce can make charts very difficult to create, don't they? Good insight into your mom and her family and good analysis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to add both actual parents of all kids on that chart, even though they weren't actually discussed with my mom, but couldn't find the room or figure out how exactly to do that, because the people aren't married anymore, but were. Hmmm. Now I want to try doing it again. It really does get difficult!

      Delete
  6. Your post was very interesting to read, and although it's a sad situation to go through divorce, I'm glad you were able to share because many people go through it but can't talk about it. I'm impressed by how open you are about divorce being a common thing in your family and I give you props.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog to be very insightful and interesting to read. I related to you on many levels as you discussed divorce within the family as well as relationships that have been strained due to disagreements. I also sympathize with your comment about how differences were not resolved between the father and daughter before death; sometimes issues can appear to be so big that it seems impossible to resolve. However once a death occurs, it often brings with it regret that those differences were not discussed and resolved while there was still time to do so. This happened with my mother and my grandmother and is something that I know my mother continues to struggle with.

    ReplyDelete